Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Attack of Appendicitis!

Well this is the most random thing of my life. Appendicidis.

First off, what is Appendicitis?

For all of you who don't know, it's inflammation of the appendix. It is thought that appendicitis begins when the opening from the appendix into the cecum becomes blocked. The blockage may be due to a build-up of thick mucus within the appendix or to stool that enters the appendix from the cecum. The mucus or stool hardens, becomes rock-like, and blocks the opening. After the blockage occurs, bacteria which normally are found within the appendix begin to invade (infect) the wall of the appendix. The body responds to the invasion by mounting an attack on the bacteria, an attack called inflammation.




















Well here is what happened.....



Well Monday morning I woke up to Russell's alarm at approx. 6:45 am. I felt nauseous and felt like a really bad upset stomach. So i asked Russ to get me some tums and went back to bed. I woke up about an hour later and still felt the same. I tried going to the bathroom, throwing up but nothing vcame out and I just felt to nauseous and sick to my stomach with this pain that continued to worsen. I called Russ at work and he did not answer so I called my brother. I was crying from the pain at this point and I got a hold of Russ through Ryan. Of course Russ asked me all the logical questions like did you take some medicine, try to get some sleep, did you go to the bathroom, and I told him I did all of that and nothing worked. He wasn't sure what to do or think but he said it was like someone put this thought in his head "what if it is her appendix?" So he called me dad which has had his appendix out and then he called me. I was crying and trying to explain the pain I was having and he told me I need to go to the hospital.



So Russ Raced home (he passed a few cars on the wrong side of the road =-) he loves me) and took me to the Orem Community Hospital Emergency Room. I had to wait there FOR AN HOUR!! I don't think I stopped crying the entire time. It pretty much sucked. So we finally got in and were there for 2 more hours doing test until the diagnosed it. They tested urine, blood and did an ultrasound and they said it was appendicidis. So we had to be tranferred to Provo hospital for surgery. The pain did not go away until I had 3 doses of Morphine but then i got nauseous and threw up.

This is me and Russ in the ER. I was crying because I was hurting and Russ told me "You might hate me now but you will want these pictures later. If you look close I'm about to flip him off (not with the real finger though )









So then we got to the hospital and at first they told us that I may have to get a CT and we would not go to surgery for a few hours but then the doctor came in and said good news, the surgeon says you don't need a cat scan and we will be taking you to surgery very soon. YES! So i went into surgery around 3:25 and they gased me up and told me to count down from ten. All I remember was saying 10. haha. I woke up around 4:45 pretty out of it. I was a little confused I thought no time had passed and I was waking up before my surgery even started. But then the nurse said "You're all done" and apparently the surgeon came over and talked to me but I don't remember a thing. So that is my story. The most random thing ever. It's good that they caught it in the first stages though, so it didn't rupture. ew. that would have not been fun. Here are some pictures off Russell's camera phone after the surgery. I'm a little out of it.....







And now I am recovering. Russ went back to work and good ol Amy is taking care of me! Russ and I stayed the night here yesterday and I stayed here all day yesterday and today because Russ didn't want me to be home alone because I can't really move around very well. I can't go to work for a week or until I feel healed up. So ya, I love the Blairs, she my temporary mom right now! =-) Thanks AMY!

did you know they pulled out my appendix out of my belly button!?!





7 comments:

BRIAN AND BROOKE said...

well I did not expect the belly buttom pics at the end...but we are all glad you made it !!!Hopefully this will be the end of all the weird stomack problems!! No pic of the flowers ryan got you?

Stacie Aho said...

Oh Selena. How sad!!! I'm so glad you are all better now. Crazy that Russ thought appendicitis before you even knew. Your pics are pretty funny.

Allison Barry said...

i do NOT like that belly button picture. Oh Selena i am so glad you're alright! Sweet Russ. Only you and Russ would take a happy picture of the two of you in teh hospital. Just another proving point that you married the right person. Amy is such a good mom to all!!!

sarah said...

That stinks! At least you have a sweet husband to take care of you. As for your belly button, I had surgery the same way about a year after I was married and the scar blends well, so its not to notiable. Feel better!

The Sorensen Bunch said...

Poor poor Selena--we are so sorry! I guess having a baby will not be so traumatic after all-except they dont pull it out of your belly button!

Dawn said...

Since I have not gotten to talk to you (only Russ) since this happened, I just wanted to say how glad we are that you are okay, and how grateful we are that Russ listened and acted...promptly. And that your dad knew what you were going through and could confirm what you needed to do. I hope you will be feeling lots better soon! Amazing what they do with surgery nowadays...hardly even a scar compared to what they used to look like! Enjoy your rest! Love you both!

Caitlin said...

Hi Selena! Congratulations on your marriage! My mom told me a few weeks ago, and I was so happy. I just found your blog today through another blog and enjoyed reading your past blogs. Bummer about your appendix! Congratulations again!