Thursday, June 23, 2011

Memory Lane



Before Russ and I left Utah, we drove around one Sunday afternoon and photographed things and places that have served us well while we lived the past 3 years in Orem, Utah. I absolutely LOVE LOVE Arizona but there are some things I miss about good 'ol Utah.

I know that Arizona has a different beautiful landscape to offer but it really does not compare to the beautiful landscape of Utah. I miss the trees and the Mountains and the greenery. I miss taking long drives through the canyons that were only 10 minutes away. I miss the seasons; the beautiful fall leaves and the spring flowers. I miss the clouds that hover over the mountains and decorate the sky.
This is one thing I truly miss.




I know Russ misses the weather (but maybe not the snow). Although I love the heat (and I'm not lying, I like the feeling of my skin burning in the sun) haha, Russ always is drawn to color weather. I admit the summers there are BEAUTIFUL! The best ever! I know I enjoyed going to the park in the summer and having a picnic and setting up the hammock and relaxing. You can't do that in the summer in Arizona that's for sure!!

(i think this was taken in the fall....but you get the picture...)

I miss our little basement apartment.

Right now we are living with my parents until we get settled (and I really don't mind it at all, it's great!) But it's not the same as having your own little place to call home. I miss our tight little quarters that we could go to and escape. (Although I do not miss having no widows) it was ours and it was where our marriage started. Our first place we lived together. We watched movies on the love sack, Russ stayed up for hours doing homework, I burnt popcorn and smelled the whole house up.
It was our house, our neighborhood, and our memories.....

I feel like everything is more spread out in Phoenix. It's so much bigger and you have to travel farther to get to places. Russ and I lived on the Bell Road of Utah. We had everything RIGHT THERE next to us at our fingertips. There was nothing too far and lots of fun places to play and eat all around. (Since it is highly populated with students i think there were more things to do for the younger crowd).


This was my FAVORITE ice cream place! There is NOTHING LIKE IT! I can't even decribe how good it is!! It's make kind of like dip in dots is make but you pick out your own flavors and mix ins and they make it right before you eyes!!!
The Nicklecade is quite an amazing place if you like arcade games. It's inexpensive, open late and such a fun date! Russ and I would go here frequently to get out of the house and have a fun, cheap date!


This chilis was right down the street from us. Why do we like it? CHIPS AND SALSA. We would get chips and salsa take out for a yummy snack and it was like $3 bucks of something! They are delicious!
Red box it at EVERY corner in our neighborhood in Orem. Every gas station, fast food place, Walmart, and grocery store. It is harder to find the Red boxes around here although I know they are in AZ too. But since it is not that hot here....they are mostly all outside (which is nice because you can rent a movie late even after store hours). In AZ I mainly see them inside.....Red box was how we watched movies....
Yes, every place has a walmart and we lived at this one. Right down the street from our house it was always there when we needed it. =-)
Here is the amazing car wash! When you have snow, rain, salt and all kinds of things to get your car dirty you have to find a great car wash. This was ours. It was great!
MY FAVORITE SANDWICH PLACE IN THE WORLD! Bailey's! This sweet old man owned it and always remembered everyone's name! They had the greatest sandwiches there and I have never had any better. If you are ever in Orem stop by Bailey's on Sate street and check it out! I love it!
Of course if you are from Utah you know Cafe Rio. It is a CRAZE there. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! Great mexican food! A little expensive but worth it! They do have one here in AZ and I think it is in Mesa or Gilbert area. This one was right down the street.....Man I am crazing it just talking about it!!!
We are pizza fans in my family. Russ and I had a ritual of pizza once a week. And Little Caesars was right down the road. Quick ready to go pizza for only $5. What else can you ask for??
Iggy's was one of Russell's FAVORITES. It was a grill with great burgers (and everything) and why else would Russ like it? It had TV's and he could watch "the game" there. But it was a great place!!!
OK. THIS PLACE I MISS THE MOST!!!! It was the BEST DOLLAR THEATER EVER! I can't believe how expensive movies are now!?! Crazy! We were soooo spoiled having the dollar theater so close to us. Very often when we wanted to go out we went to the dollar theater. Let's just say we haven't seen too many movies since we have been in AZ in the theater.....
Then we have work and school.....I know if you ask Russ if he misses school he will say something like "I would rather poke my eyes out with a hot fork then go back to school" but I bet there are aspects of school that he does miss. I weirdly miss going to work. I love photography and people and getting up, getting ready and going to work doing something I love everyday is something I do miss. I love the free time I have now, but I get bored sometimes.....I'm not too sure if Russ misses his "school jobs" but I know he had some fun sometimes....

Russ lived int he building at school.....
This was where Russ worked as a janitor on campus....
He worked here the entire time we lived in Utah....for Summers and weekends during the school year....


There are a few more memories i would like to throw in here. These are our apartments before we got married. I lived across the hall from my brother and roomed with my great friend Mollie! We had such a blast in these apartments I can't skip them over. Oh the single life.....I can still remember. =-)


Also the emergency room when I got appendicitis like 3 months after we were married. that was scary!





Things I DON'T MISS.

no washer and dryer.

snow. (and getting stuck)
And last but not least i miss all our family and friends there! It's not the same without you!!!

We love Arizona. but I do miss Utah a little.....the end.

5 comments:

Allyson said...

I'm going to have to check out Bailey's now...we're always on the lookout for a good sandwich place! Thanks Selena!

Jen, Dave, Reagan and Matthew said...

I've never tried Bailey's but now I'm going to. We miss you guys too but glad you are enjoying arizona.

Nat and Charles said...

This is so awesome. Your kids will love it. I always think about how much I would have loved to see all these places where my mom and dad where when they were first married. :)

peachytiffers said...

Cafe Rio and Sub Zero Ice cream are over here by me. Anytime lady, anytime. :)

peachytiffers said...

Oh, and we are masters of the "sandwich". It's Jake's favorite food group. We could give you some ideas of where to start. :)