Monday, February 6, 2012

Alone time....


Sometimes I miss our time in Utah when Russ and I worked and Russ went to school.
We were busy but I felt like we got to Do more Stuff. Being in a college town had it's benefits....the nicklecade, BYU events, pool hall, cheap fun, great scenery (we loved to take drives) and lots of friends with no kids to do it with. Russ would stay up late doing homework and miss his alarm clock in the morning (cuz he would sleep in), I would go to work and take pictures everyday (which i do miss), We would go out for hot chocolate in the snow, go sledding and make snowman, go on spontaneous dates, play games, paint our faces, and stay up late and do whatever we wanted whenever we wanted. I mean, don't get me wrong, we were very busy people and we both worked almost every Saturday, but our schedules were different then, more flexible I feel like.

When you have a baby there is So Much More Planning! I am Sooooo not a planner! So what happens more often then not with me is that I just don't make plans. I sit at home a lot even though I feel perfectly fine and comfortable leaving the house with Brynn. But now I have so much more to worry about. I am trying to work out in the mornings and sometimes it just doesn't happen if I didn't sleep very well the night before....I sleep in with Brynn. Then there is the whole ordeal of getting ready which seems pointless when you constantly have spit up on you. I have to shower and get ready so fast, either when Brynn is sleeping or she is awake and happy (but you only have so long before they get bored of there mobile gym or their bouncer). Then you have the whole house to clean (I never had this much house to clean in my life) and it really is a lot to keep up with. In our litle basement apartment I just didn't have a lot to clean and honestly, since I worked, just didn't clean much at all. Then I have to get dressed. There are a few problems with that. One, I like my pj's.....they are comfy, two, none of my clothes fit......I am working on this.....Then I have pictures to edit, do some blogging (and I would be lying if I didn't say that facebook will take over about a half hour or more of my time a day) and I do a little work with my photography. I am not a wife that makes dinners. I want to do better at this but I have a hubby that works till 7 or 8 or 9 or 10! So dinner is really out of the question. He just eats cheese its.

So I mean this really doesn't seem like a whole lot but throw a baby in there, make sure to include that she eats ever 3 hours, that you are changing diapers, catching projectile spitup, changing clothes, doing laundry, giving baths, putting down for naps....I mean, she takes over the rest of the day. And then I still try to find time to give my sweet dog Domino some attention. But even he gets ignored some days.

So back to the point. Life with a baby is different.
No just picking up and going to a movie whenever we want. I have to plan my day around feedings and naptime. And don't get me wrong....we love and adore Brynn and she is such a happy and loving baby! We are so lucky to have such a sweet girl. But when she is sleeping and we finally get a chance to spend a few minutes together (even if it is just making shakes and watching Lie to Me at 12:00 am and going to bed) it's a great feeling.








5 comments:

Ryan and Crystalee said...

Can you imagine what it will be like when you have more kids? I'm gearin myself up mentally (although we're still waiting a year and half or so) and the more I think about it, I realize how AMAZING parents are. Holy smokes, it's such a selfless life to have kids and be a good parent to them. Good for you guys to be doing well with your first!

Becky said...

Okay I have a few comments to go along with this post:
1- I'm sure I will miss the freedom just like you when my time to have a child comes...so I've decided to live it up now!
2- it looks like domino finally got some attention...better late than never :)
3- when did your couch get so long? I feel like it is half the size of a football field...I mean it just keeps going and going.
4- I'm glad you had such a beautiful child! Keep them coming hahahahaha
And last but not least....
5- you look great, even though some things giggle a little more than you like! Just be patient, the weight will come off in no time.

sarah said...

Good for you guys for actually making time to spend together, if it was me I might have just gone to bed :)

Nikki Mullaly said...

SELENA, YOUR DOING GREAT. YOU WILL GET USED TO THIS, REMEMBER IT HAS ONLY BEEN 3 MONTHS. PRETTY SOON YOU WILL BE PLANNING , GETTING OUT OF THE HOUSE MORE, GETTING DRESSED, CLEANING, (MAYBE NOT MAKING DINNERS)ETC. ONE DAY YOU WILL WAKE UP AND JUST KNOW EXACTLY WHAT TO DO! JUST REMEMBER HOW EASY YOU HAVE IT! YOU WERE VERY BLESSED WITH HEALTHY BABY, NO COMPLICATIONS,NEW HOUSE, FAMILY SURROUNDING YOU, A HUSBAND THAT WORKS HARD, AND MUCH MUCH MORE!! SO MANY BLESSING HAVE COME YOUR WAY, AND I KNOW MUCH MORE WILL COME YOUR WAY. THINK POSITIVE. THINK OF ALL THE WONDERFUL THINGS YOU CAN DO! YOUR A GREAT MOTHER, AND I LOVE YOUR BABY GIRL TO PIECES.

XOXO
AUNTI NIKKI

Brad and Whit said...

You seriously just described my life. Like word for word... One day Brad made the mistake of coming home and saying (as he looked around the dirty house), "What did you do all day?"... he hasn't asked that again! :)